Friday, October 23, 2009

Binding Fear

Though we care not to admit, most of us have felt some kind of fear one way or another: fear of rejection, of failure, the future, the unknown, new beginnings, endings, etc.  It doesn't matter if it's writing related or not... think of it.  Fear... it can be binding, can't it?  You think you've done all you can, but there is still so much more.  And you're afraid of ...?

I'm thinking of those righteous men of God who started off the same way; fearful! They all had a mission in life; though, some took years to realize that mission or purpose.  But God knew from the beginning! He knew exactly what He had deposited in each one of them and how much He would withdraw when the time was right.

When he told Abraham to leave his country and move into a strange land, if he had not gone with fear, perhaps his generations wouldn’t be as the stars. If Moses had not gone with fear, perhaps Israel would still be enslaved in Egypt. If Joshua had not gone with fear, the wall of Jericho would still be up. If Jonah hadn't finally gone with fear, the people of Nineveh would've been condemned.

God knew why He said, “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be fearful; do not be discouraged, for I will be with you all the way."  Joshua 1:9 NIV 

If Jesus had let his fear stand in the way, we would still be slaves of Sin. Think of it, even our Lord was filled with fear. Did you really think our Lord wasn't afraid? It was his side of humanity.  “Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.” Mat. 26:39    Just before his prayer he told his disciples, “My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death. Stay here and watch with Me.” Mat. 26:38

In other words, Jesus felt alone, was afraid and pained to death while fulfilling His calling.  But he knew he had to do it, because He loved us that much. Think about it… the more we suffer, are confused, or fearful, the more we're on God's radar.  He has great plans laid out for each one of us.  He is in the midst of everything: in our family, friends, work, passions (including our writings).  Did Jesus run away from the will of God? Absolutely not!  He proceeded with fear.


So let us imitate Him.  Let us take up our cross (whatever burden or fear it be), seek the will of God,  pursue the passions of our heart and proceed with fear.  The road ahead might be dark and scary but let us not allow our fears to bind us any longer.  Let us trust in the God who conquered in spite of the fear!  After all, we are His children and we are more than conquerors in Him with whom all things are possible.

So at the end of this week, I leave you with this thought in mind:

What has been your biggest fear lately?
Have you allowed it to bind you and hold you back from accomplishing your purpose in life?

18 comments:

Unknown said...

God is in the midst of my burdened heart and you again my dear friend are an instrument of his powerful and almighty hand. If only one person is touched...and that person is me. Thank you my beautiful friend for easing my troubled heart today.

Ellie Kings said...

Oh Sila, God knows exactly what we can handle. Fear not and know that the Lord will not leave you alone in this trying time. I will always be here for you whenever you need to talk. Love you! xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Hey Ellie,

Great Post! I really struggle with fear alot of times, but lately I have been praying more peace and God has been granting it to me. I am trying to get on the path to no be ruled by fear. It is a process, but God is working on me. He is not through with me yet... by a longshot! :o)

Have a GREAT weekend!

Susan R. Mills said...

Awesome post, Ellie. Fear can be so powerful. But God is more powerful. Thanks for the reminder.

Veronica and Thomas said...

As a writers our worlds are covered with fear of rejection or failure. My biggest fear the last couple of years has been that I've wasted what I'm suppose to be doing. God put me here for a reason and for along time I wasn't doing what I was suppose be. A trip on a boat reminded me tnis summer. Thank you for confirming that. Have a great weekend:)

Lori said...

Sometimes I think I am afraid of everything. I dare to face my fears sometimes, but mostly I hide away. I am working toward becoming more brave. Great post!

Ellie Kings said...

Hi Girl,
We're all a work in progress! And God will not quit until His work is finished within us.
Enjoy your weekend!

Ellie Kings said...

Thanks Susan and so true! Have a lovely (there goes that love word again :) weekend!

Ellie Kings said...

Veronica, I know exactly how you feel. I buried my gift for months; writing absolutely nothing. But God has a way of reminding us where and what we should be doing. Have a good one!

Ellie Kings said...

Lori~ Bravery is what we make it! I'll admit, like you, I've always been afraid. You remember the story I shared with you about my speech and how scared I was. I think that experience was so traumatic for me, that it was a turning point in my life. I keep reminding myself,"Girl, you can do it, go with it, go with the fear, and just do it!" It works, most times ;)

Tabitha Bird said...

I am an ikea put together job. God is still working on me. Fear is something I battle plenty. I have good reasons to be afraid, but I know I serve a bigger God.
Great post. Thanks :)

Ellie Kings said...

Tab~ I agree whole-heartedly. Even if we do have good reasons to be fearful, we acknowledge God as being BIGGER than Fear. Well said!

Unknown said...

Fear is a tool the enemy uses to derail us and keep our attention focused on ourselves, rather than the great God we serve! I love the scriptures you used, Ellie! Thanks for the post!! Have a great weekend. :)

Ellie Kings said...

Thanks Maria. Fear can be a deadly tool, but you're right... Focus on God not our fear! Hope you have a great weekend with your family.

Tamika: said...

"Love casts out all fear."

This is one of my favorite scriptures. God reminds me that His love supercedes all fear, worry, or anxiety.

Beautiful post Ellie!

Holly_D said...

What a blessing that you have become a follower of my blog. I just loved to read this message you've written. God is truly wonderful in the ways he brings his people together.
Have a good evening.

Ellie Kings said...

Tamika~ Thanks. That is one of my favorite verses as well. God led me to that particular one when I asked Him a long time ago if there was such a thing as true love. He always answers, doesn't He?!. Blessings!

Ellie Kings said...

Holly~ Welcome! Nice of you to join. Yes, this is one of the best forms to meet people that share your interest in God! Nice weekend!